Hunter’s Goat Stew
Yield: 8 servings
Goat is one of the few farmed animals
whose flesh conforms to the Savanna Model. This recipe is a classic
way of preparing hunted meats. It uses the technique of soaking the
meat in a flavorful liquid (marinating) to tenderize the meat and
enrich its flavor. You can try this recipe on other game meat too,
e.g. venison, wild boar, elk etc.
˝ bottle cheap dry red wine
1 medium onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1 tablespoon cinnamon bark pieces
3 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh oregano or thyme, or 1 tablespoon dried
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 lb (900 g) goat stewing steak, cut into cubes
3 white onions (approx. 1 lb.), sliced
6 gloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 medium-size green peppers (approx. 1 lb.), deseeded and sliced
5 medium-size zucchini (approx. 2 lb.), sliced
˝ white cabbage (approx. 1 lb.), sliced
salt + pepper to taste
2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
Tabasco sauce to taste
4 pinches ground coriander
4 pinches ground cumin
1. Put the goat cubes into a dish suitable for marinating, e.g. a
2. Mix in the other marinade ingredients, using enough red wine to
ensure that the goat meat is entirely covered.
3. Cover and store in the fridge. The longer you can leave it, up to
four days, the better.
1. Strain the marinade in a colander, discard the juices and just keep
the goat meat, the onion and garlic.
2. In a large non-stick frying pan or wok heat 1 tablespoon of the
oil. Add the goat meat and sauté for a few minutes until golden brown
on both sides. Set aside on a hot plate and cover.
3. Add the remaining oil in the pan and sauté the onion until they are
soft and translucent. Add in the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Mix
in the tomato paste, stir well to coat the onion.
4. Add the green peppers and sauté for 5 minutes.
5. Mix in the zucchini and cabbage.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add Italian herbs, the
coriander, the cumin and the Tabasco sauce to taste. Cook until the
vegetables are almost cooked.
7. Add the goat meat. Simmer all together for 15 minutes.
A good, conforming, self-contained meal with protein and plant food in
good balance. The Tabasco should be just be enough to make the dish
piquant. Hot, pungent foods put your colon health in jeopardy.
Historical note: The last meal of
Öetzi, the Ice Man, before he died on the Alpine glacier 5000 years
ago was of goat. (News January 2001).